The Georgia Department of Agriculture regulates the can of cat food, bag of dog food, or box of dog treats or snacks in your pantry. Our regulation of pet food is similar to that for other animal foods. The Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act requires all animal foods be safe to eat, produced under sanitary conditions, contain no harmful substances, and be truthfully labeled.
Visit the FDA website for more information on pet food and GRAS.
FDA and Pet Food Overview (video)
Inside Your Pet's Food
How to Handle Your Pet’s Food
- Safe Handling Tips for Pet Foods and Treats
- Pet Food and Treats in Your Home (video)
- Safe Handling Tips & Tricks for Dry and Raw Pet Foods (brochure)
- Paws Before you Feed (brochure)
- Pet Food Safety (brochure)
Sick Pet? Pet Food Complaint? Who to Call:
Pet Food Business
How to Begin Your Pet Food Business
Registration & License
The Lowdown on Labeling
Marketing Your Pet Food/Treat