ACTION: Notice of Intent to Amend Dog and Cat Sterilization Program Rules
TO ALL INTERESTED PERSONS AND PARTIES:
Pursuant to the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, O.C.G.A. § 50-13-4 and O.C.G.A. § 4-15-1, notice is hereby given that the Georgia Department of Agriculture will be accepting written comments regarding proposed amendments to its Dog and Cat Sterilization Program Rules, GA. R. & Regs. 40-13-14, et seq. (the “DCSP Rules”). The Department will be accepting written comments from January 6, 2022, to close of business (4:30 p.m. ET) on February 7, 2022.
SYNOPSIS, MAIN FEATURES AND DIFFERENCES:
The Department is proposing to amend the DCSP Rules to provide for collaboration with veterinarians to host events providing sterilization procedures, to clarify procedures for veterinarians seeking Dog and Cat Sterilization Program funding, and to implement minor clean-up changes.
Rule 40-13-14-.01. Eligibility:
The proposed amendments provide for the Department to collaborate with veterinarians to host events providing sterilization procedures.
- Authorize these collaborative events. Rule 40-13-14-.01(1).
- Clarify required accreditation of participating veterinarians. 40-13-14-.01(2).
- Clarify the procedure for veterinarians to request financial assistance. 40-13-14-.01(3).
- Better identify the appropriate standard of care for performance of sterilization procedures. 40-13-14-.01(4).
- Clarify that both animal owners and animals on which qualifying procedures are performed must reside in Georgia. 40-13-14-.01(5)
Rule 40-13-14-.02. Distribution of Dog and Cat Sterilization Funds to Veterinarian:
The proposed amendments clarify logistics regarding application for and the nature of qualifying sterilization procedures.
- Remove limits on qualifying procedures, subject to the availability of funding. Rule 40-13-14-.02(1).
- Further authorize the potential for collaborative sterilization procedure events between the Department and veterinarians. Rule 40-13-14-.02(2).
- Clarify information required to be given to animal owners by participating veterinarians. Rule 40-13-14-.02(3).
- Update the documentation required when veterinarians apply for DCSP funding. Rule 40-13-14-.02(4).
- Provide a mechanism for the Department to update the amount of funding available for sterilization procedures on an annual basis. Rule 40-13-14-.02(5).
Rule 40-13-14-.03. Dog and Cat Sterilization Program:
The proposed amendments make additional clean-up changes to Rules language.
- Clean up Rules language and reflect the above-discussed changes. Rules 40-13-14-.03(2)-(3); 40-13-14-.03(10).
COMMENT PERIOD AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
The Department will be accepting written comments from January 6, 2022, to close of business (4:30 p.m. ET) on February 7, 2022. Comments will be considered on February 8, 2022. Please submit written comments to:
Companion Animal and Equine Section
Georgia Department of Agriculture
19 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Atlanta, Georgia 30334
Telephone Number: (404) 656-3713
Interested persons may call or submit a written request to obtain a copy of the proposed rule changes. A copy of the synopsis and the proposed rule changes may be downloaded from the Georgia Department of Agriculture website at www.agr.georgia.gov.
This notice is given in compliance with the Georgia Administrative Procedure Act, O.C.G.A. § 50-13-4.